Taking A Pace From Motivational Non-Fiction To Magical Fantasy

This calendar week I watched my non-fiction mass How I Changed My Life inwards a Year achieve the issue iv spot on Amazon's Best Seller listing for self-help. 

I striking the 'screenshot' clitoris thus fast I almost dislocated my finger.  Within 30 seconds I had uploaded the photograph to my Facebook page to portion my word with the incredible people who get got supported me throughout my writing journey.

The sense of self-publishing this mass has been thus rewarding.  I proceed to have emails, tweets together with messages from people telling me how much they enjoyed reading it together with how it has helped them inwards their life.  Priceless.

On Th I striking my 50,000 discussion target for NaNoWriMo together with I had to switch my writing encephalon from motivational non-fiction to immature adult fantasy. 

I get got e'er had a passion for fantasy books, films together with TV shows.  During the lowest indicate of my life at that spot was 1 immature adult inwards detail who taught me I could last to alive some other solar daytime - Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer.  She for certain knew where to shove the pointy cease of a stake!

I waited inwards line of piece of occupation for Sarah Maas's novel loose together with I devoured Veronica Roth's serial during many belatedly nighttime read-a-thon's.  On my final see to London I stopped at Blackfriars Bridge simply thus I could tweet Cassandra Clare to state her I was there!  Any swain immature adult fans volition resonate amongst my neurotic passion.

When I took usage inwards NaNoWriMo for the outset fourth dimension inwards 2013 I used the calendar month to write the outset draft of my own young adult fantasy novel that had swirled roughly my encephalon for a issue of years.  Having the construction of a deadline together with regular write in's helped me to complete together with earn my winner badge.  This year I worked on mass 2 inwards the series.

When I striking the 50,000 discussion score afterward final years contest I position the manuscript away until the New Year.  When I felt create to read what I had written I took the fourth dimension to re-work sections together with enlisted the assist of a professional person proof-reader together with copy-editor.  It took the residuum of the twelvemonth to larn the mass polished together with I similar a shot get got a fellowship working on the comprehend blueprint create for publication.

My ultimate dream is for my debut fiction mass to create equally good equally my non-fiction title.  I know I get got enough of difficult run ahead of me but that's one-half the fun of marketing.

To examination the waters I wanted to portion an excerpt of my immature adult fantasy fiction amongst you lot all.  I know the target audience for my books are thirteen/fourteen twelvemonth former girls but hey, nosotros were all immature once!

I welcome your feedback (positive together with constructive) thus delight don't live shy together with leave of absence me a comment.

Here goes.  Welcome to Guardians of the Dead...


Prologue


Her lungs threatened to outburst equally she ran, but she pushed herself to maintain moving regardless of the hurting inwards her joints.  How could she get got been thus foolish?  The signs had been there.  The crippling headaches had forewarned her of what was to come upward but she hadn’t heeded the warnings together with similar a shot she was running for her life.

The former church building loomed earlier her, a humongous sandstone edifice that, nether the calorie-free of dawn, appeared to live haemorrhage from the concrete that sealed the large blocks of stone.  The gothic spire soared into the sky, its ornate carvings disfigured past times the air current together with pelting that had hounded it for centuries.  If she could arrive to the doors she could bind the lock, together with cast a piece to forbid anyone getting out.     

She had sworn to protect the town which slept roughly her, its inhabitants rubber inwards their beds.  Her ain married adult man together with immature lady slept soundly, oblivious to her mission.

Her frantic nous calmed equally she idea briefly of her daughter.  At simply half dozen years former she could concur her ain against whatever classroom bully, brilliant equally whatever scholar together with yet she showed no sign of inheriting her family’s power.  She was a footling girl, exceptional inwards her ain unique agency but she was no prophecy child.  They had been wrong.

Now, equally she ran for her life, she feared she may never laid eyes on her sugariness kid again.

The gravel path crunched underfoot equally she hurried along to the gaping oral fissure of the church building entrance.  Solid oak doors, highly decorated amongst concentric circles, stood earlier her, their atomic issue 26 handles caked inwards rust from centuries of neglect.

The church, in 1 lawsuit the thriving middle of Hills Heath’s community until the disappearances began centuries ago, was similar a shot a derelict monstrosity, a haunted mausoleum that the local potency were also afraid to rip down.

She skidded to a halt, dropping to her knees together with pulling her heavy coat neckband roughly her neck, protecting herself from the chill of the early on morn air.  She tried to relax her posture equally she cast the protective circle, her pump pounding inwards her thorax equally she hurriedly traced the shape inwards the dirt.  Her fingers crackled equally bluish burn caressed her hands, spreading along each digit until flames danced inwards her upturned palms.

Pushing her ability out, she raised it from the earth, letting it rush through her inwards a torrent until a lightning bolt escaped together with arched towards the wooden doors.  Using all her concentration she carved the piece into the wood, splinters of oak breaking off equally the bluish burn cutting deep.  Looping the flaming inwards a crescent, she chanted nether her breath, drawing her ability from the nature surrounding her.  She had to forbid them from setting human foot inwards her town.  In her world.  Time stood yet equally she heard them approach from behind.  The world spun equally she realised she was also belatedly together with they were already here.  The protection piece collapsed equally her confront smashed into the heavy wooden doors.  She tasted blood together with wiped her oral fissure amongst her sleeve.  Shaking her caput to endeavour to clear her vision, she stood, sweeping her arms roughly her, an athame nestled inwards the palm of her hand.

The dawn mist swirled through the churchyard, cloaking the gravestones. H5N1 large shape stepped out from the smog; a tall, muscular human being dressed caput to human foot inwards dark amongst a golden phoenix emblazoned across his armoured breastplate.  His hooded cape was drawn upward over his head, disguising all but the difficult laid of his jaw.  From beneath the swathes of dark cloth a deep rumbling express joy reverberated across the churchyard.

‘I get got postulate of you, witch.’  He spat the words at her equally he stepped closer, his paw resting on the hilt of the sword hidden from thought beneath his cape.

She glared at the huge man.  With her dagger raised betwixt them she stood tall amongst her mentum held high.  ‘My mention is Myanna.’

His express joy held no warmth equally it echoed inwards the eerie silence, her blood pounded inwards her ears, together with the tiny hairs on her arms stood erect.

‘I don’t bargain inwards pleasantries.’  He snapped his fingers together with 2 men approached, similarly dressed salvage for a smaller reddish phoenix on their armour.

They circled either side of her, cutting off her escape routes.  She backed away until her shoulders touched the oak doors.  Still clutching her athame together with belongings it at arm’s length she fumbled amongst her gratis paw to detect the atomic issue 26 take away hold behind her.  There was alone 1 agency out.  She would get got to become through the church.

Planting her feet squarely on the compacted gravel she flung her dagger at the human being to the left, striking him inwards the shoulder equally she swung opened upward the wooden door, smashing it into the advancing human being on her right.  She pivoted on her left human foot together with slipped through the door, pulling it shut behind her, whispering a sealing piece to tiresome them down.  The within of the door charred together with smoked equally the magic took hold.

 

The interior of the church building smelt musty, the years of decay permeating the walls together with floors.  She was inwards the nave, an enormous room amongst vaulted ceilings together with rows of wooden pews that faced a raised rock altar.  Strings of cobwebs laced across the seats leading to the platform.  No-one had stepped human foot inwards at that spot inwards over 2 centuries – no-one human anyway.  She hurried past times the baptistery, in 1 lawsuit the middle for all the town’s christenings, but the font had long since dried up.

She searched along the dorsum wall, running her hands across the rock looking for some other exit.  An opening inwards the darkest corner of the church building led to a wrought-iron staircase.  The stairwell was cloaked inwards darkness together with descended farther than her eyes could see.  She faltered briefly, unsure if stepping onto the outset rung would atomic number 82 her into to a greater extent than problem or indicate her to an escape route.

The heavy front end doors of the church building smashed opened upward together with the men stormed through the entrance amongst a bloodcurdling cry.

Her fourth dimension was up.  She placed her human foot on the outset rung together with took a measuring down, thus another…
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close