My Organised Life Serial - Fourth Dimension Management


Welcome to 'My Organised Life Series', a characteristic where nosotros volition move looking at diverse ways to organise yourself as well as streamline your life.  By the fourth dimension Jan 1st rolls around, you lot volition move create as well as raring to possess got on the New Year.

Week 2: Time Management

(You tin read the outset article HERE – Creating a Home Workspace)

One of the topics I embrace inwards my Motivate Me workshops is ‘Time Management’.  We all possess got the same twenty-four hours inwards a day, but it’s what nosotros create amongst them that matter.  I frequently refer to Stephen Covey’s approach, using the Time Matrix.  This is the procedure of putting your tasks or to-do listing into 1 of 4 boxes.
  • Important as well as urgent
  • Important as well as non urgent
  • Not of import as well as urgent
  • Not of import as well as non urgent
Here’s an event for you:


Writing my newsletter is of import because it keeps the work of communication opened upward betwixt my readers as well as me, however, it’s non an urgent chore every bit I possess got 3 weeks until my scheduled publication appointment – important but non urgent. 

As much every bit I would savor seeing an empty inbox, I know that organising my emails isn’t vital to my hateful solar daytime or calendar week – not of import as well as non urgent.

As my immature adult woman sprinted out of the door this forenoon she shouted over her shoulder, ‘I’ve merely finished the toothpaste!’ purchase toothpaste all of a abrupt became - important as well as urgent.

My incredible proofreader as well as editor works difficult to ensure that my books as well as projects are the best they tin move earlier I publish.  Having to move amongst my grammer blunders she deserves a medal, but for today, I volition move paying the account she sent me – important as well as urgent.

At this fourth dimension of twelvemonth the hairdressing salon is a bustling house to be, as well as appointments are scarce.  So when I realised I wouldn’t move able to brand my side yesteryear side appointment I added a quick telephone band to cancel on my to-do list.  The salon I visit has a 24-hour cancellation policy, so if I forget to cancel or don’t turn up, as well as so I larn charged – important as well as urgent.

I similar using this procedure when I possess got a to-do listing longer than my arm.  It helps me to streamline what I demand to create as well as force those urgent as well as of import tasks to the top.  At Christmas time, our to-do listing may move crammed amongst a diversity of work, household unit of measurement as well as social tasks.  There is to a greater extent than to create at this fourth dimension of year, as well as taking a infinitesimal to write out a fourth dimension matrix conception may merely tip you lot over the edge.  Don’t panic!  I possess got a simpler procedure for you lot that volition move out on you lot organised as well as calm.

The 3 D’s!
  • Do It
  • Delegate It
  • Defer It
Run out of lavatory newspaper as well as your mother in law is due inwards an hour?  That’s inwards the ‘do it’ category.

Forgotten to purchase 5 alternative boxes for fiddling Katie’s schoolhouse friends?  Delegate that to your partner, he/she tin select grip of them from the Shop & Save on the means domicile from work.

Need to mass your half-dozen months cheque upward amongst the dentist?  Defer it until the New Year's Day as well as jot a banking corporation bill to yourself inwards your diary to brand the telephone band when everyone returns to work.

The 3 D approach allows you lot to plow through your to-do listing speedily as well as efficiently.  Don’t move afraid to inquire for help.  I’m a unmarried mum as well as hence don’t possess got a partner to telephone band on or delegate to – but I create possess got household unit of measurement as well as friends.  If my mum is heading to Tesco I could inquire her to pick upward a forgotten item, or if a friend is taking their children to an effect I could inquire them to possess got my children besides so I’m gratis to create merely about other chore on my to-do list.

How create you lot organise your fourth dimension during the festive holidays?  Share your tips inwards the comments below, or bring together the conversation on my Facebook page.
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close