Guest Writer Interview - Douglas Mcpherson

Today I am joined past times journalist together with author, Douglas McPherson.  Douglas was the human I turned to for advice on turning my Resolution Challenge weblog into a book.  His response together with subsequent back upward were a huge constituent inward edifice my confidence.  I am thrilled that he was able to bring together me for a chat.  Over to Douglas.
 
The Fun Five:
 
1.  What exercise of the globe create you come from?
 
I grew upward inward South London, non far from Wimbledon Common.  I currently alive out inward the countryside beneath the large Norfolk skies.
 
2.  What did yous desire to live on when yous grew up?
 
I ever wanted to create something creative together with truly began my working life every bit a graphic designer.
 
3.  List 3 words to depict yourself.
 
Nearly ever writing.
 
4.  Who would play yous inward a cinema virtually your life?
 
Matt Smith inward his Dr Who wearing clothing – I accept a jacket only similar that – although if I larn whatsoever to a greater extent than greyness hairs we’ll accept to start talking to Peter Capaldi.
 
5.  Who is your favourite author?
 
I truly similar Eric Malpass who wrote a serial of books virtually a household unit of measurement called the Pentecosts, by together with large viewed through the eyes of their 9-year-old son, Gaylord.  My favourite, At The Height of the Moon, is all the same my benchmark for expert writing.  It’s real gentle together with comic, but sharply observed, too.
 
The Sensible Seven:
 
1.  What inspired yous to write your outset book?
 
My outset mass was a biography, Dominic Kirwan: Through The Years.  I went to i of his concerts past times conduct chances and, for someone who’s non on the tv set or inward the charts, I was amazed at the dedication of his fans, who are by together with large women of a for sure age.  They follow him all over the province together with encompass the phase inward presents for him.  I thought: “Here’s a even out that hasn’t been told…and an audience for it.”  I accept a fond retentivity of standing past times his trade stand upward together with watching his fans purchase ii books at a fourth dimension – i to read together with i to keep.  That’s how much they adore the man.
 
2.  You write romance novels every bit Julia Douglas, what prompted yous to write nether a pseudonym?
 
It’s only a marketing thing.  There’s a belief that people who purchase romance similar to run into a woman mortal elevate on the cover.  It’s the reverse inward another genres similar thrillers together with sci-fi.  JK Rowling used her initials because she idea that if boys saw Joanna on the encompass they powerfulness accept idea her books were for girls.  Also, inward mag fiction, if it’s a outset mortal even out together with there’s a manful mortal elevate at the top of the page, people powerfulness start reading alongside the supposition that the graphic symbol is male, when it powerfulness non be.
 
3.  Tell us a piffling virtually your non-fiction book, Circus Mania.
 
I’d never been interested inward circuses until The Stage sent me to review a present at Britain’s oldest circus building, the Great Yarmouth Hippodrome, which is a real magical together with atmospheric place.  I interviewed an aerialist called Eva Garcia virtually her lifestyle – her household unit of measurement had been inward the circus for a hundred years.  The real side past times side week, the twenty-four hr menses later my interview was printed, Eva cruel to her expiry during her act.  The stupor of that brought dwelling delineate solid to me the danger that circus performers human face upward every day, then I wrote Circus Mania every bit a backstage journeying through their world, talking to the performers virtually their unique lives, history, traditions together with superstitions.  It’s a fascinating concern together with I’ve carried on writing virtually the large top every since, including the setting of my romantic new The Showman’s Girl.
 
 Today I am joined past times journalist together with author Guest Author Interview - Douglas McPherson Today I am joined past times journalist together with author Guest Author Interview - Douglas McPherson
 
4.  You also write curt stories (my personal favourite beingness The Blue Rinse Brigade).  Which create yous let on easier to write, curt stories or novels?
 
I’m truly a curt even out man.  I mean value that comes from mainly beingness an article writer.  I similar to cram a lot into a curt space.  Even the romance novels are fairly short.  I’ve never had the patience to read truly thick books.  The writers I admire are truly songwriters who tin forcefulness out cram a whole even out into a few lines.
 
5.  Your ‘Get Started’ characteristic inward the Writers’ Forum Magazine is a wonderful resources for anyone growing their writing career.  Do yous accept a favourite slice of advice?
 
I mean value yous require a niche, something that sets yous apart from other writers, together with I mean value that comes from writing virtually the things that yous are personally most fascinated past times together with truly desire to enjoin people about.  If anyone has a query virtually writing they tin forcefulness out e-mail it to me at gettingstarted@writers-forum.com.  Questions together with answers volition live on printed inward the magazine.
 
6.  What tin forcefulness out nosotros human face from yous inward the future?
 
At the 2d I’m mainly writing articles, but I accept a few stories lined upward to seem inward My Weekly over the side past times side duet of months.  I’m truly happy that my latest romance novel, Polka Dot Dreams, is available every bit an eBook together with also every bit a paperback inward libraries – yous tin forcefulness out read it for free!
 
 Today I am joined past times journalist together with author Guest Author Interview - Douglas McPherson
 
7.  How tin forcefulness out nosotros contact yous or let on out to a greater extent than virtually your books?
 
I’ve got ii blogs.  Circus Mania is a spin-off from the mass Circus Mania together with virtually all things circus.  You tin forcefulness out also read my Blue Rinse Brigade serial Murder At the Circus there.
All my fiction books tin forcefulness out live on establish at  Julia Douglas Romance
 
 Today I am joined past times journalist together with author Guest Author Interview - Douglas McPherson
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close